Fire seasons and permits

Last updated: 02 Jul, 2018 01:28pm

Check it’s alright – Fire and Emergency New Zealand (FENZ)


Fire seasons and permits

You must check with Fire and Emergency New Zealand if you need a fire permit for your proposed fire in the open air.  You can do this online at

Fire and Emergency is responsible for setting fire seasons and issuing fire permits for all urban and rural areas.Fire And Emergency New Zealand Logo

When assessing your fire permit, Fire and Emergency will take into consideration a range of factors including the location of your proposed fire, the weather, and other conditions that may increase the risk of the fire getting out of control.

Information from Fire and Emergency about fire seasons, the current season in your location, how to safely light a fire, fire types and how to apply for a permit can be found at

Lighting an outdoor fire

If you want to light an outdoor fire, you need to ensure that the fire does not escape or cause a danger to you or others, and does not cause a smoke nuisance.

You must not burn green waste, treated wood, plastics, chemicals, rubber, or a fuel, paint or oil product.  

Smoke and pollution from outdoor fires

Smoke and pollutants from outdoor fires can cause a number of health problems, including breathing difficulties and eye irritations. Ash, smoke or odour may also cause a nuisance to your neighbours.

Outdoor fires may cause a smoke and pollution nuisance if the material being burned is not dry or is not an appropriate material for burning.

We will investigate smoke complaints from outdoor fires and consider the following before taking enforcement action.

Report smoke and pollution nuisance

Call 06 3794030 if smoke or pollution is causing a significant issue. Tell us as much as you can about the location of the fire and where the smoke is coming from. We will then investigate the complaint, and follow up with the responsible party if required.

The Carterton District Council has rules about burning in public places and at our parks and reserves.

Fires in public places

In Carterton’s public places, the only fire you can have in the open air without council permission is a gas barbecue .

To obtain council permission for a fire (other than a barbecue) in a public place contact the council on 063794030.

Fires in parks and reserves

In Carterton’s parks and reserve the only fire you can have in the open air without council permission is a gas barbecue.

To obtain council permission for a fire (other than a barbecue) in a council park or reserve by contacting the council on063794030.

How useful was this information?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating / 5. Vote count:

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?