Liquor Licensing

Last updated: 06 Jul, 2020 04:57pm

Apply early for summer event special licenses

Please view more here

New Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 Information

The Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 came into effect on 18 December, 2013. This Act replaces the Sale of Liquor Act 1989.

A number of factsheets are available to help inform businesses and their staff, as well as members of the public, about how they are affected by changes under the new Act:

Applying for a Liquor Licence

The sale of alcohol requires a licence under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012. A licence is issued to a person, company or other legal entity in relation to a premise. Liquor licences cannot be transferred from one person to another, or from one premise to another.

A certified manager must be on duty any time liquor is being sold or supplied to the public at a licenced premise. The manager is responsible for complying with the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 and any conditions of the licence.

Please note it takes 20 working days (40 working days for a large event) to process a special licence and 8-12 weeks for on/off/club licences so please get your applications in early. If you have any questions please contact the Licensing Inspector or phone 06 379 4030.

What type of licence do I need?

The licence you need depends on the type of business or activities you are planning. Click the boxes below to see each type of licence and which kind of activity it applies to.


For selling or supplying liquor to be consumed on a premises like a hotel, bar, café, restaurant or venue.
On licence application (includes renewals and variations)


For selling or supplying liquor to be consumed away from the premises, like a supermarket, bottle store or vineyard/winery.
Off licence application (includes renewals and variations)

Club licence

For selling or supplying liquor to be consumed on club premises by members of the club and their guests, or by members of other clubs with reciprocal visiting rights.
Club licence application (includes renewals)

Special licence

If you want to sell or supply alcohol at an event (or series of events), you’ll need a special licence.
Examples of when you’ll need a special licence include:

  • festival
  • concert
  • sporting event
  • boat or bus trip
  • ticketed event
  • function in public venue where public access is not restricted

A special licence may be issued for one day or for a number of days, but is only valid for the timeframe specified on the licence
You’ll need to submit your application at least 20 working days before your event.

Special Licence application

Temporary authority

If you are a new owner of a premises that already has a current licence, you can apply for a temporary authority that allows you to trade, for a period of up to three months, under the licence’s existing conditions and terms.
This gives you time to lodge a new application. A temporary authority cannot be issued to a club.
Temporary authority application

Manager's certificates

Managers need to be at least 20 years old, have appropriate qualifications, have at least six months experience and be currently working in the industry
Manager’s certificate application
Manager’s certificate renewal application
Notice of management change

Variation or cancellation of conditions of licence

If you want to vary or cancel a condition on your existing licence, and do not want to wait until your renewal, you can apply for a variation or cancellation of conditions on your licence.
Variation or cancellation of conditions of licence

To view archived Liquor Licensing decisions please click here 


How useful was this information?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating / 5. Vote count:

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?