Last updated: 16 Dec, 2021 11:33am
Historic Clareville Cemetery is located on Chester Road on the outskirts of Carterton.
About Clareville Cemetery
Clareville Cemetery is located on Chester Road on the outskirts of Carterton, administered by Carterton District Council.
The grave of Charles Rooking Carter, from whom Carterton derives its name, can be found at Clareville Cemetery.
The first burial took place on 26 July 1866.
The Cemetery has its own small chapel which was opened in August 1999, the chapel features a stand crafted from local wood containing a memorial book.
A crematorium is also located within the cemetery, and with every cremation performed a native tree is planted.
Clareville is one of the few cemeteries in New Zealand to include a section for pets.
Contact us for further information.
Clareville Cemetery Plot Records
Wairarapa Cemeteries Map
Fees and Charges
Headstone permit $25. No burials on Public Holidays
- Lawn: $1100
- Child under 1 year old: $160
- Child over 1 year old: and below 10years old $320
- Cremation: $250
- Charge for extra depth: $350
- Lawn: $750
- Cremation: $220
- Child under 1 year old: $130
- Child over 1 year old: and below 10 years old $320
- Servicemen: $750
- Out-of-town burial fee: $1200
- Saturday burials $1200
- Saturday burials – out-of-town $1450
- Actual cost
- Plot: $2200
- Interment: $750
- Compost (cost includes topping-up within first 3 years): $300
- Tree (cost includes planting): $150
- Natural burial fee (at cost): $250
- Out of District fee: $1,200
We're sorry this page wasn't useful for you!
Tell us how we can improve this page. If you would like a direct response, please include an email address.