We’re asking for your feedback on our proposal on the disposal of a Council asset, namely 29 Holloway Street. We want to know if you agree with our proposal to explore the options of disposal.
The building was purchased by Council in 2005. In 2009 the Council consulted during its 2009/2019 Long Term Planon the sale of 29 Holloway Street to support with building costs for the Carterton Event Centre. However, in 2015, thecouncil decided to retain the building until future governance outcomes for Wairarapa had been determined, as this was during the voting period on the amalgamation proposal.
Since then, tenants have continued to rent the two shop spaces. Both tenants pay reduced rates due to being community organisations. General maintenance has been carried out on the building as and when required. However, the building needs a considerable amount of work and updating.
What are we doing?
In November 2022, extreme weather events have seen the building severely damaged. Damages included flooding through the roof, walls and light sockets, with resultant damage to the office, hallway and carpets.
The tenants’ ability to trade was interrupted by this damage. Temporary repairs have been made; however, these have identified further issues which may result in flooding spreading to a neighbouring property.
The building has been assessed and required a significant investment from Carterton District Council to ensure thebuilding is watertight for our tenants.
The building needs:
- Replacement of the external soak pit potentially with submersible pump, or designed and sized for the roof
- Roof replacement
- Plumbing work – permanent fix
- Pull carpark and footpath away from the building, to create drainage channels between the building and thefootpath – Salvation Army
- Pull carpark away from the building, to create drainage channels between the building and the carpark – Wai ArtBoth shops need rewiring and electrical work upgraded
- All internal insurance work undertaken
Total costs for the repairs and work required to the building is in excess of $184,243.00.
Council explored the options for the building, these are as follows;
- Undertake the insurance work and allocate a significant investment going into this building but would allow both tenants to stay in the premise and continue operating, or;
- Reconsider and explore the options of the sale of 29 Holloway Street.
Council considered the options and concluded we would like to explore the options of disposal. The building needs a considerable amount of work and updating, which is not budgeted.
Investing in the repairs of this building will see an impact on rates.
We’re asking you if you agree with our proposal to explore the options of disposal.
Have Your Say!
Anyone can make a submission on the proposed Bylaw and we encourage you to do so. This is how you can have your say:
- Complete our online survey
- Download and complete a submission form, and:
- drop in into council offices at 28 Holloway Street, Carterton, or;
- post it to PO BOX 9, Carterton, or;
- email it to email@example.com
Please send get your submission to us by SUNDAY 2 JULY. Remember to indicate if you would like to support your submission in person at a potential future hearing.