Planning and Resource Consents

Last updated: 31 May, 2022 01:57pm

District Plan

A district plan contains guidance and rules about how you can use and develop your land.

In Carterton, the Wairarapa Combined District Plan applies

Resource Management Act

The Resource Management Act requires us to ensure that effects on the environment are well managed. One way we do this is to decide whether to grant resource consents to people wanting to do things that might affect the environment.

Every day, people apply for resource consents for activities such as building a new house, subdividing their property, discharging wastewater into a stream, moving earth, or discharging pollution into the air.

Types of Resource Consent

There is a range of consents you may need to apply for. Find out more about each of them.

When Do I Need A Resource Consent?

When you wish to build or use your land in a way that does not comply with the rules of the district and/or regional plans that apply in Carterton, you need to get a resource consent. Whether you need one and what type of consent depends on what you want to do and how it’s classified in your local district or regional plan.

Preparing your Resource Consent application

Once you have worked out that you need a resource consent, you will need to gather together the relevant information.

The Process: From Application To Decision

Outlining the steps required by law to take an application from its initial submission to a decision.

Affected Party – Approval and Submission

If we consider you to be adversely affected by activities proposed in a resource consent application, we will tell the applicant. It is then the responsibility of the applicant to seek your written approval to their proposed activity.

Fact Sheets


Planning and Resource Consents

Can I subdivide my residential property?

A PDF format version of a factsheet answering questions on subdividing residential properties.


Can I subdivide my rural property?

A PDF format version of our factsheet answering questions on subdividing rural properties.


How many dwellings can I have on my property?

A PDF format version of our factsheet detailing how many dwellings can be built on a property in the District.


How much will I have to pay the Council to subdivide?

A PDF format version of our factsheet answering questions on the costs of subdivision fees and charges.