10 February 2023
Tropical Cyclone Gabrielle is currently approaching New Zealand. It is currently on a South East trajectory and is expected to impact the upper North Island on Sunday and Monday, and the lower North Island late Monday and Tuesday. At this stage there is uncertainty regarding what track Gabrielle will take and the extent of its impacts. More information is expected over the next few days as Gabrielle gets closer.
𝗙𝗼𝗿 𝗪𝗮𝗶𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗮𝗽𝗮, 𝘄𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗼 𝗴𝗲𝘁 𝗽𝗿𝗲𝗽𝗮𝗿𝗲𝗱 𝗻𝗼𝘄 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝘀𝘁𝗿𝗼𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝗻𝗱 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗵𝗲𝗮𝘃𝘆 𝗿𝗮𝗶𝗻 𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗺 𝗠𝗼𝗻𝗱𝗮𝘆.
𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗱𝗼 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗼 𝗱𝗼?
- 𝐈𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐨𝐫 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐟𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠, 𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐧𝐨𝐰. If flooding occurs, Fire and Emergency may not be able to get to you and Council will be busy keeping core services and assets functioning (drinking water, wastewater and roading).
- Create a plan in case access to your house is cut off, or you need to evacuate due to flooding or landslides. Share and practice that plan with your family.
- Ensure you have a grab bag ready. Include key items like medication and warm clothing.
- Have a plan for your pets and/or livestock.
- Ensure drains and gutters are kept clear to help water drain away as quickly as possible!
- Secure any outdoor items like wheelie bins, trampolines and outdoors furniture that may blow around.
- Keep an eye on the weather and visit https://www.metservice.com/warnings/home for the latest updates and https://www.facebook.com/WREMOnz
𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐂𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐜𝐢𝐥 𝐝𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠?
- We already have plans in place and our internal Incident Management Team on standby, monitoring the situation over the weekend.
We have teams on call to respond to any potential slips, surface flooding, road closures etc
- We are in continuous contact with WREMO to ensure our staff and elected members are kept up to date with the latest info
We have put measures in place to ensure our key services such as urban drinking water and the provision of wastewater services continue to operate.
𝗪𝗵𝗼 𝘁𝗼 𝗰𝗮𝗹𝗹
- Surface flooding on roads, slips, drinking water and wastewater issues (including after hours) 06 379 4030 or log a service request here https://cdc.govt.nz/service-request/
- Power lines 0800 769 372
- Electricity 0800 272727
- River and Stream Hazards 0800 496 734
- Fire or immediate threat to life call 111
For more info, visit cdc.govt.nz/emergency-management