Dog Control Fees and Permits
Last updated: 22 Jul, 2022 03:05pm
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 06 379 4030
- Mobile: 027 444 2413
- Afterhours: 0274 515 195
Visit our online services page to make a payment.
You will need:
- Your credit/debit card
- Your owner number
Once payment is made your dog/s tag will be posted to you. Please allow up to 2 weeks to receive your tag/s.
Dog Control Fees
All dogs over the age of three months must be registered.
$75 1st and 2nd dog
$40 subsequent dogs
|Urban Entire||$100 per dog|
|Urban spayed/neutered||$75 per dog|
|Dog classified as dangerous||$160 per dog|
The additional penalty fee for all dogs not registered by 1st August, each year will be 50% per dog. For certified seeing-eye or hearing dogs, a fee of 50% of those stated above applies.
Owners in the Urban Ward are reminded that the Council’s bylaws preclude the keeping of three or more dogs over the age of 3 months without written permission being first obtained from the District Council. An application fee of $70 (in addition to the above fees) is to accompany all applications for such permission.
Dog owners are advised that the Council has fixed the following sustenance and poundage fees:
|Sustenance Fee||$15 per dog per day|
Dogs, Sheep, Goats $70
Second time (dogs only) $150
Third and subsequent impounding fee (dogs only) $200
|Cattle, Deer, Horses and all other animals $80|
|Droving Charge||Calculated on actual cost including labour and plant hire|
Keeping more than two dogs on an urban property
You must have a permit for keeping more than two dogs on an urban property.
Download an application form below.
Contact us if you need any help or further information.
How your fees benefit our community
In Carterton, dog registration fees help to pay for most of our animal services, including:
- Dog control, including impounding wandering dogs, investigating dog attacks, minimising nuisances caused by dogs
- Responding to a variety of complaints
- Running the animal shelter
- Taking legal action when required
- Administration and maintenance of Council database including yearly registration process
- Dog training and onsite behavioural advice
- Signage and advertising of dog related issues
- Providing dog poo bags in Carterton