When Do I Need A Resource Consent?

Last updated: 28 Jun, 2023 07:28pm

When do I need a resource consent

When you wish to build or use your land in a way that does not comply with the rules of the district and/or regional plans that apply in Carterton, you need to get a resource consent. Whether you need one and what type of consent depends on what you want to do and how it’s classified in your local district or regional plan.

The district and regional plans set out rules and related information that will help you decide whether or not you need a resource consent. When you look through the plans, you will see that many things are described as permitted activities.  You do not need a resource consent for permitted activities.

Other activities require a resource consent and you should always check the district and regional plans BEFORE you make any changes to your property.

The district and regional plans are legally binding and if you breach them or don’t obtain a resource consent when you need one, you may face penalties.

Inside the plans

The district plan is divided into different chapters which deal with different issues.

For example, the district plans contain chapters on zones and important environmental issues.

Regional plans cover a range of issues including rules to protect air and water quality and use of the coastal marine area.

Contact Greater Wellington Regional Council for more information on the regional plans.

The plans begin with introductory chapters which will help you understand and use them.

The plans also contain maps and these will help you work out what zone your property is located in. There are different rules for different zones.

Some things you want to do will be dealt with in a range of chapters in the plans or in both a district and a regional plan.

For example, a manufacturing business may have business, transport and signage rules which apply to it in the district plan and stormwater rules which apply to it in the regional plan. You may need to look through different parts of the district and regional plans before you can determine whether or not you need resource consent.

If what you want to do is not specifically mentioned, you may still require a resource consent and you should check the introductory chapters of the plans for guidance.

As well as permitted activities, there are also controlled, restricted discretionary, discretionary or non-complying.

These activities all require consent and the descriptions indicate the approach the council will take to assessing your application.

The meaning of these terms is explained in the plans and in the Resource Management Act 1991.

Need help?

Contact us if you are not familiar with the district and regional plans, and we will help point you in the right direction.