Offensive Trades

Last updated: 17 Jun, 2020 09:41pm

New premises
If you intend carrying out any of the following activities you must be registered with the Council as an Offensive Trade. These include:

  • refuse collection
  • bone crushing or boiling
  • tallow melting
  • tanning
  • fish processing
  • blood or offal, bone, hide, hoof or skin treating
  • used bottle collection or storage
  • flax pulping
  • septic tank desludging
  • dag crushing
  • fellmongering
  • wool scouring
  • animal slaughter for other than human consumption
  • textile manufacturing

The Council’s environment health officer, Jade-Anna Gronback (027 259 5527) can help provide information and advice on these matters.

Registration is renewed each year from 30 June, or if the business changes hands.

When you are ready to open, contact the environmental health officer for an inspection and apply for a certificate of registration

You may not open until registration has been made and the environmental health officer has approved the opening of the premises.

Existing Premises
Offensive trades must renew their registration annually. Renewal forms will be mailed to premises prior to the expiry date of 30 June each year.
To ensure that the premises are operating correctly, offensive trade operations may be inspected by the Council’s environmental health officer throughout the year.
If you are buying existing premises, notification of the change of ownership must be submitted to Council within 14 days of the change.

Health Licences registration of premises form please view here.