Last updated: 01 Jul, 2022 05:35pm
All hairdressing premises must comply with the Health (Hairdressing) Regulations 1980.
The Council’s Environmental Health Officer can assist you with any information requirements or undertake preliminary inspections at the initial set-up.
Here are the basic compliance requirements:
- all wettable areas must be continuously smooth, impervious to water, and readily cleanable
- ventilation and lighting must be adequate
- there must be hot and cold running water and separate sinks for hand washing, shampooing, utensil washing, and any other needs
- there must be active management of premises cleaning, building maintenance, pest control, and chemical storage
Registration is renewed each year from 30 June, or if the business changes hands.
When the premises are ready to open:
- Arrange an inspection with the the Environmental Health Officer [call 027 244 5491 or email email@example.com].
- Apply for a certificate of registration [Download the Health Licences Registration of Premises form]
You may not open until registration has been completed and the environmental health officer has approved the opening of the premises.
Hairdressers must renew their registration annually. Renewal forms will be mailed to premises prior to the expiry date of 30 June each year.
To ensure that the premises are operating correctly, hairdressers may be inspected by the Council’s environmental health officer throughout the year.
If you are buying existing premises, notification of the change of ownership must be submitted to Council within 14 days of the change.