Walking & Cycling
Last updated: 24 Jul, 2023 03:18pm
Five Towns Trail
Cycling In Carterton
Cycling is part of our daily lives, as a method of transport to and from work or school, as a sport and also as a recreational activity.
Cycling can be on a road bike, a mountain bike, 3 wheels or 2, motorised or pedal power! Cycling is great for fitness, for getting fresh air, improving wellbeing and exploring.
Wairarapa is now firmly established as an ideal location for the staging of elite cycling events, with the New Zealand Cycle Classic taking place throughout the region each year.
The Huri Huri website has more information about cycling in Wairarapa.
Walking in Carterton
Walking requires minimal investment and can be done as a short trip, for longer walks, to get to work or School and for fun!
You can walk from your house, at a park or reserve, along the beach or around the town streets.
The New Zealand Ministry of Health recommends 2.5 hours of moderate exercise per week. Walk your way to wellbeing!
Wairarapa Five Towns Trail Network
The Wairarapa Five Towns Trail Network is an ambitious project to develop almost 200km of recreational trails for walking and cycling, linking Martinborough, Featherston, Greytown, Carterton and Masterton.
The goal is to grow community wealth through developing outstanding trail-based experiences, and to provide for improved liveability and health outcomes for residents and visitors alike.
Walking & Cycling Groups Directory
Parks, Reserves, Walks, and Trails
- Destination Wairarapa
- Five Towns Trail
- Greytown Rail Trail
- Parks and Reserves in Carterton District
- Parks and Reserves in Masterton
- Parks and Reserves in South Wairarapa District
- Parks in Greater Wellington Region
- Department Of Conservation walks across New Zealand
- Wairarapa Moana Walks Map [Download/View ]
- Wellington Regional Trails
Other groups, clubs and organisations
- Dalefield Horse Riding Park [Facebook]
- Thrive Community [Facebook]
- University of the Third Age
- Wairarapa Orienteering Group
- Wairarapa Multi Sports Club
- Ministry of Health: How much activity is recommended?
- Living Streets Aotearoa
- Sport Wellington/ Nuku Ora
- Wairarapa Road Safety Council
A pdf format version of a poster including information on the 2023 Wairarapa Walking Festival.
A pdf format version of a poster including information on walking and cycling events across Carterton and Wairarapa in November. 2023.
A pdf format version of a poster including information on walking and cycling events across Carterton and Wairarapa in December 2023.