Rates Rebate

Last updated: 16 Jul, 2021 02:32pm

Rates rebates applications

Applications for rates rebates for the 2021/22 rating year must be received before 30 June 2022 so that Council has time to submit to the Department of Internal Affairs.

The 2021/22 application form will be available on the Department of Internal Affairs Rates Rebates web page from 1 July 2021 (www.ratesrebates.govt.nz). Other key documents, such as the handbook, and the Schedule of Work and Income Benefits, will be updated and will be found under the publications tab on the same web page, also from 1 July.

How do I know if I am eligible for a rebate?
Most single superannuitants and Work and Income beneficiaries, and many employed people on low incomes, would be entitled to a rebate.  People or couples/joint homeowners on less than $26,510 income for tax year 2020/21 plus $500 per dependent qualify for the full rebate of $665 for this 2021/22 year. The rebate is less for higher income households.

For an indication on whether you may qualify, go to www.ratesrebates.govt.nz and enter your details into the rebate calculator.

Is it worth my while applying?
The maximum rebate is $665. If your income is within the income range set by law you should qualify for the maximum rebate. If your income slightly exceeds the limit, you should be eligible for a smaller rebate.

How to apply
Ratepayers apply to their local council, in this case Carterton District Council, for a rates rebate. You can either print a form from the Department of Internal Affairs Rates Rebates website www.ratesrebates.govt.nz  pick up a form from council offices on Holloway Street Carterton, or phone our offices on 06 379 4030 and we will be happy to send you a form.

When applying for a rates rebate you will need:

  • Your rates notice for the current rating year
  • Information about what your income (before tax) was for the tax year ended 31 March 2021
  • Information about what your partner/joint homeowner’s income was if he/she was normally living with you on 1 July 2021
  • No supporting documents are required if you receive a benefit from Work and Income. You do need to declare: What the full amount of the benefit/pension is per year; What income you earned after it was granted.

Once you have all the information and filled in the form, bring it in to the Carterton District Council offices on Holloway Street.

If you need assistance with filling in the form, please ask and our staff will be happy to assist. If you are housebound and unable to visit our offices, please ring council on 06 379 4030 and one of our officers can arrange to visit you.

If you receive a rates rebate we recommend you pay your rates by direct debit either fortnightly or monthly so that payments can be spread evenly over the remainder of the year.

What counts as income
For people not self-employed – Income is all money you and your spouse (if they are resident at the property) have received during the income tax year ended 31 March 2021, except any:

  • capital money you have received, e.g. inheritance, prizes and winnings, sale of personal assets.
  • war widows pension or war disability pension.
  • grant for funeral expenses
  • money received by the recipient of a military decoration in respect of any military decoration.
  • family support paid to you
  • salary or wages paid for a beneficiary before they commenced receiving that benefit except for NZ Superannuation, ACC earnings compensation, or sickness and unemployment benefits.

For people self-employed, income is your income for tax purposes for the preceding year plus any income you have received from any other source, plus your spouse’s income if they are resident at the property.

Calculate your rebate
To find out if you are eligible for a rebate go to www.ratesrebates.govt.nz and use the calculator.

Can I get any other government assistance to help me with rates?
Besides rates rebates, you might be eligible for an Accommodation Supplement – contact Work and Income for more information. To find out if you are eligible, call Work and Income on freephone 0800 559 009 or, for further information, go to:

Other pages in
Properties and Rates