Funeral Homes / Funeral Directors
All funeral homes and funeral directors must comply with the Health (Burial) Regulations 1946. The Council’s environmental health office, Jade-Anna Gronback (027 259 5537) can assist you with any information requirements or undertake inspections at any stage of the development.
- Here are the basic compliance requirements:
- mortuary surfaces must be continuously smooth, impervious to water, readily cleanable and lightly coloured
- floors must be coved to the walls and permanent fixtures, and graded and drained to the sewer
- lighting and ventilation must be adequate
- mortuary tables must also be graded and drained
- there must be hot and cold running water and a hand washbasin must be convenient to the area but separate from other sinks
- staff toilet facilities should be provided
- there must be active management of cleaning practices, personal hygiene policies, pest control, building maintenance and safe chemical storage
Registration is renewable each year from 30 June, or if the business changes hands.
When you are ready to open, contact the Council’s environmental health officer for an inspection and apply for a Certificate of Registration.
You may not open until registration has been made and the environmental health officer has approved opening of the premises.
Registration of funeral homes must be renewed annually. Renewal forms will be mailed to premises prior to the expiry date of 30 June each year.
To ensure that the premises are operating correctly, funeral homes may be inspected by the Council’s environmental health officer throughout the year.
If you are buying existing premises notification of the change of ownership must be submitted to Council within 14 days of the change.
Health Licences registration of premises form please view here.QQQ